Abdullah Yusuf Ali Translation
1. The Sure Reality!
2. What is the Sure Reality?
3. And what
will make thee realise what the Sure Reality is?
4. The Thamud and the
'Ad People (branded) as false the Stunning Calamity!
5. But the Thamud,-
they were destroyed by a terrible Storm of thunder and lightning!
the 'Ad, they were destroyed by a furious Wind, exceedingly violent;
He made it rage against them seven nights and eight days in succession: so that
thou couldst see the (whole) people lying prostrate in its (path), as they had
been roots of hollow palm-trees tumbled down!
8. Then seest thou any of
them left surviving?
9. And Pharaoh, and those before him, and the Cities
Overthrown, committed habitual Sin.
10. And disobeyed (each) the apostle
of their Lord; so He punished them with an abundant Penalty.
11. We, when
the water (of Noah's Flood) overflowed beyond its limits, carried you (mankind),
in the floating (Ark),
12. That We might make it a Message unto you, and
that ears (that should hear the tale and) retain its memory should bear its
(lessons) in remembrance.
13. Then, when one blast is sounded on the
14. And the earth is moved, and its mountains, and they are
crushed to powder at one stroke,-
15. On that Day shall the (Great) Event
come to pass.
16. And the sky will be rent asunder, for it will that Day
17. And the angels will be on its sides, and eight will, that
Day, bear the Throne of thy Lord above them.
18. That Day shall ye be
brought to Judgment: not an act of yours that ye hide will be hidden.
Then he that will be given his Record in his right hand will say: "Ah here! Read
ye my Record!
20. "I did really understand that my Account would (One
Day) reach me!"
21. And he will be in a life of Bliss,
22. In a
Garden on high,
23. The Fruits whereof (will hang in bunches) low and
24. "Eat ye and drink ye, with full satisfaction; because of the
(good) that ye sent before you, in the days that are gone!"
25. And he
that will be given his Record in his left hand, will say: "Ah! Would that my
Record had not been given to me!
26. "And that I had never realised how
my account (stood)!
27. "Ah! Would that (Death) had made an end of me!
28. "Of no profit to me has been my wealth!
29. "My power has
perished from me!"...
30. (The stern command will say): "Seize ye him,
and bind ye him,
31. "And burn ye him in the Blazing Fire.
"Further, make him march in a chain, whereof the length is seventy cubits!
33. "This was he that would not believe in Allah Most High.
would not encourage the feeding of the indigent!
35. "So no friend hath
he here this Day.
36. "Nor hath he any food except the corruption from
the washing of wounds,
37. "Which none do eat but those in sin."
38. So I do call to witness what ye see,
39. And what ye see not,
40. That this is verily the word of an honoured apostle;
41. It is not
the word of a poet: little it is ye believe!
42. Nor is it the word of a
soothsayer: little admonition it is ye receive.
43. (This is) a Message
sent down from the Lord of the Worlds.
44. And if the apostle were to
invent any sayings in Our name,
45. We should certainly seize him by his
46. And We should certainly then cut off the artery of his
47. Nor could any of you withhold him (from Our wrath).
But verily this is a Message for the Allah.fearing.
49. And We certainly
know that there are amongst you those that reject (it).
50. But truly
(Revelation) is a cause of sorrow for the Unbelievers.
51. But verily it
is Truth of assured certainty.
52. So glorify the name of thy Lord Most
بِسْمِ ٱللَّهِ ٱلرَّحْمَٰنِ ٱلرَّحِيمِ
2. مَا ٱلْحَآقَّةُ
أَدْرَىٰكَ مَا ٱلْحَآقَّةُ
4. كَذَّبَتْ ثَمُودُ وَعَادٌۢ
5. فَأَمَّا ثَمُودُ فَأُهْلِكُوا۟ بِٱلطَّاغِيَةِ
وَأَمَّا عَادٌ فَأُهْلِكُوا۟ بِرِيحٍ صَرْصَرٍ عَاتِيَةٍ
عَلَيْهِمْ سَبْعَ لَيَالٍ وَثَمَٰنِيَةَ أَيَّامٍ حُسُومًا فَتَرَى ٱلْقَوْمَ
فِيهَا صَرْعَىٰ كَأَنَّهُمْ أَعْجَازُ نَخْلٍ خَاوِيَةٍ
8. فَهَلْ تَرَىٰ
لَهُم مِّنۢ بَاقِيَةٍ
9. وَجَآءَ فِرْعَوْنُ وَمَن قَبْلَهُۥ
10. فَعَصَوْا۟ رَسُولَ رَبِّهِمْ
فَأَخَذَهُمْ أَخْذَةً رَّابِيَةً
11. إِنَّا لَمَّا طَغَا ٱلْمَآءُ
حَمَلْنَٰكُمْ فِى ٱلْجَارِيَةِ
12. لِنَجْعَلَهَا لَكُمْ تَذْكِرَةً
وَتَعِيَهَآ أُذُنٌ وَٰعِيَةٌ
13. فَإِذَا نُفِخَ فِى ٱلصُّورِ نَفْخَةٌ
14. وَحُمِلَتِ ٱلْأَرْضُ وَٱلْجِبَالُ فَدُكَّتَا دَكَّةً
15. فَيَوْمَئِذٍ وَقَعَتِ ٱلْوَاقِعَةُ
وَٱنشَقَّتِ ٱلسَّمَآءُ فَهِىَ يَوْمَئِذٍ وَاهِيَةٌ
عَلَىٰٓ أَرْجَآئِهَا ۚ وَيَحْمِلُ عَرْشَ رَبِّكَ فَوْقَهُمْ يَوْمَئِذٍ
18. يَوْمَئِذٍ تُعْرَضُونَ لَا تَخْفَىٰ مِنكُمْ خَافِيَةٌ
فَأَمَّا مَنْ أُوتِىَ كِتَٰبَهُۥ بِيَمِينِهِۦ فَيَقُولُ هَآؤُمُ ٱقْرَءُوا۟
20. إِنِّى ظَنَنتُ أَنِّى مُلَٰقٍ حِسَابِيَهْ
فَهُوَ فِى عِيشَةٍ رَّاضِيَةٍ
22. فِى جَنَّةٍ عَالِيَةٍ
24. كُلُوا۟ وَٱشْرَبُوا۟ هَنِيٓـًٔۢا بِمَآ
أَسْلَفْتُمْ فِى ٱلْأَيَّامِ ٱلْخَالِيَةِ
25. وَأَمَّا مَنْ أُوتِىَ
كِتَٰبَهُۥ بِشِمَالِهِۦ فَيَقُولُ يَٰلَيْتَنِى لَمْ أُوتَ كِتَٰبِيَهْ
وَلَمْ أَدْرِ مَا حِسَابِيَهْ
27. يَٰلَيْتَهَا كَانَتِ ٱلْقَاضِيَةَ
مَآ أَغْنَىٰ عَنِّى مَالِيَهْ ۜ
29. هَلَكَ عَنِّى سُلْطَٰنِيَهْ
31. ثُمَّ ٱلْجَحِيمَ صَلُّوهُ
32. ثُمَّ فِى
سِلْسِلَةٍ ذَرْعُهَا سَبْعُونَ ذِرَاعًا فَٱسْلُكُوهُ
33. إِنَّهُۥ كَانَ
لَا يُؤْمِنُ بِٱللَّهِ ٱلْعَظِيمِ
34. وَلَا يَحُضُّ عَلَىٰ طَعَامِ
35. فَلَيْسَ لَهُ ٱلْيَوْمَ هَٰهُنَا حَمِيمٌ
وَلَا طَعَامٌ إِلَّا مِنْ غِسْلِينٍ
37. لَّا يَأْكُلُهُۥٓ إِلَّا
38. فَلَآ أُقْسِمُ بِمَا تُبْصِرُونَ
40. إِنَّهُۥ لَقَوْلُ رَسُولٍ كَرِيمٍ
وَمَا هُوَ بِقَوْلِ شَاعِرٍ ۚ قَلِيلًا مَّا تُؤْمِنُونَ
بِقَوْلِ كَاهِنٍ ۚ قَلِيلًا مَّا تَذَكَّرُونَ
43. تَنزِيلٌ مِّن رَّبِّ
44. وَلَوْ تَقَوَّلَ عَلَيْنَا بَعْضَ ٱلْأَقَاوِيلِ
لَأَخَذْنَا مِنْهُ بِٱلْيَمِينِ
46. ثُمَّ لَقَطَعْنَا مِنْهُ ٱلْوَتِينَ
فَمَا مِنكُم مِّنْ أَحَدٍ عَنْهُ حَٰجِزِينَ
48. وَإِنَّهُۥ لَتَذْكِرَةٌ
49. وَإِنَّا لَنَعْلَمُ أَنَّ مِنكُم مُّكَذِّبِينَ
وَإِنَّهُۥ لَحَسْرَةٌ عَلَى ٱلْكَٰفِرِينَ
51. وَإِنَّهُۥ لَحَقُّ
52. فَسَبِّحْ بِٱسْمِ رَبِّكَ ٱلْعَظِيمِ
The Surah takes its name from the word al-Haaqqah with which it opens.
Period of Revelation
This too is one of the earliest
surahs to be revealed at Makkah. Its subject matter shows that it was sent down
at the time when opposition to the Holy Prophet (upon whom be peace) had started
but had not yet become tyrannical. Musnad Ahmad contains a tradition from Hadrat
Umar, saying: "Before embracing Islam one day I came out of my house with a view
to causing trouble to the Holy Prophet, but he had entered the Masjid al-Haram
before me. When I arrived I found that he was reciting surah Al-Haaqqah in the
Prayer. I stood behind him and listened. As he recited the Qur'an I wondered at
its literary charm and beauty. Then suddenly an idea came to my mind that he
must be a poet as the Quraish alleged. Just at that moment he recited the words:
"This is the Word of an honorable Messenger: it is not the word of a poet." I
said to myself: Then, he must be a soothsayer, if not a poet. Thereupon be
recited the words: "Nor is it the word of a soothsayer: little it is that you
reflect. It is a Revelation from the Lord and Sustainer of the worlds. On
hearing this Islam entered deep into my heart." This tradition of Hadrat Umar
shows that this surah had been sent down long before his acceptance of Islam,
for even after this event he did not believe for a long time, and he continued
to be influenced in favor of Islam by different incidents from time to time,
till at last in the house of his own sister he came by the experience that made
him surrender and submit to the Faith completely. (For details, see introduction
to surah Maryam and Introduction to surah Al-Waqiah).
The first section (vv. 1-37) is about the Hereafter
and the second (vv. 38-52) about the Qur'an's being a revelation from Allah and
the Holy Prophet's being a true Messenger of Allah.
The first section
opens with the assertion that the coming of the Resurrection and the occurrence
of the Hereafter is a truth which has to take place inevitably. Then in vv.
4-12, it has been stated that the communities that denied the Hereafter in the
past became worthy of Allah's scourge ultimately. In vv. 13-17 the occurrence of
Resurrection has been depicted. In vv. 18-37 the real object for which Allah has
destined a second life for mankind after the present worldly life has been
enunciated. In it we are told that on that Day all men shall appear in the Court
of their Lord, where no secret of theirs shall remain hidden each man's record
will be placed in his hand. Those who had spent lives in the world with the
realization that one day they would have to render an account of their deeds
before their Lord, and who had worked righteously in the world and provided
beforehand for their well being in the Hereafter, will rejoice when they see
that they have been acquitted and blessed with the eternal bliss of Paradise. On
the contrary, those who neither recognized the rights of Allah, nor discharged
the rights of men, will have no one to save them from the punishment of Allah,
and they will be cast into Hell.
In the second section (vv. 38-52) the
disbelievers of Makkah have been addressed and told: "You think this Qur'an is
the word of a poet or soothsayer, whereas it is a Revelation sent dawn by Allah,
which is being presented by the noble Messengers. The Messenger by himself had
no power to increase or decrease a word in it. If he forges something of his own
composition into it, We will cut off his neck-vein (or heart- vein). For this is
the Truth absolute and pure: and those who give it a lie, will have ultimately
to regret and repent.